From the first day you arrive on campus, you will quickly realize how fun and alive UP is. You will have the opportunity to participate in a variety of community and career building activities over the course of your academic career.
You can learn about the day-to-day life of current PSOBA (Pamplin School of Business) students over at the PSOBA Student Blogs, and explore the sections below to learn more about the milestones during your life as a first year business student at the University of Portland.
- Building Community: This event takes all first year students into the North Portland Community for a half day of service to build camaraderie in a non-traditional setting, teach practices of sustainability, build community between first year students and the neighborhood, and foster relationships between first-year students and faculty, staff, alumni, and returning students.
- BUS 100 Panels: Learn about the different disciplines of business, and the variety of career paths that they provide, from leading Portland-area business men and women.
- Professional Development: Self-Assessment, Resume Workshops, and Job Shadows.
The Pamplin Professional Preparation Program is integrated throughout your four years as a business student on the Bluff. During your first year, you will complete vocational interest assessments, participate in resume building workshops, and take the first steps in creating a professional portfolio. You will also be exposed to a variety of industries and careers through guest speakers and job shadows.
- First Year Seminar: All first year business students take three core business classes: introduction to leadership, computer skills, and workshop. Workshop will introduce you to college life, the Pamplin School of Business, and living in Portland. You will learn effective study skills and stress management techniques, be shown how to use Portland’s public transportation system and take field trips to various Portland landmarks, and be shown how to set up a budget. The transition to college can be daunting; however, sharing classes with the same people will help you build a foundation and make the transition to college easier and more fun. The Shepard Freshman Resource Center oversees the First Year Seminar and is a valuable resource to all first year students.
- Outstanding Faculty: The majority of our professors have terminal degrees and extensive experience within their fields. They bring years of industry knowledge to each of their classes which enhances the learning experience in the classroom. Our professors are continually updating and improving their courses, and the standard for excellence at the Pamplin School of Business is set high.